Friday, May 18, 2012

Meditate on this

For those who know me fairly well, you know my affection for meditation. In the midst of my current state, meditation has been a wonderful centering point and relaxation method to keep me focused on the present moment and less overwhelmed by this massive transition that’s currently underway - just my mat, an open door, mosquito coils (mock incense – ha!) and a gorgeous view. I’ve begun to devote time each morning to sitting and reflecting. This piece of serenity has helped to get my day started in a more positive direction. I’m incredibly thankful for the retreat that my little cottage provides from the bustle of the main part of town. Other sources of sanity include dance parties of one, coloring the Alice in Wonderland coloring book I brought from the U.S. for kids (but I think I’m going to keep it for myself, lol) and strumming my uke.

"Alice found herself tumbling down a rabbit hole!",
appropriately hung beside Mada on the world map.
View from my meditation mat
It’s not that this culture is terribly difficult to live in – life is in some ways the same – but it’s adjusting to the feeling of being a foreigner in my own life. I feel like I’m under a magnifying glass every time I’m in public and every move I make is being critiqued, even when it’s much like my Malagasy counterparts.  

One of the things I miss the most is being able to go grocery shopping – American style. To be able to browse aisles leisurely, not have to barter because I’m a vazaha and not be harassed. It’s so silly that grocery shopping should be the thing to miss most but I love to cook. Currently, I dread having to go buy even eggs. It will become the norm before long (I hope anyway) and perhaps in two years I’ll miss the crazy markets here. 

1 comment:

  1. Good meditation spot. Mine consists of a chair wherever I am and closing my eyes to see how much of the public I can zone out. Very relaxing believe it or not. "What's that 'exotic' smell?" "Mosquito coil."

    ReplyDelete